Let’s talk summer beauty, shall we?
Disclaimer – I consider myself comfortable applying makeup and I’m always willing to try new things. There’s a few looks I shy away from based on my facial features (e.g., cut crease), but if I’m in the mood I go for it. Summer 2018 is also all about color – so keep all this in mind as you read. I should also mention I have combination skin (t-zone oily AF). Last but not least, my favorite summer highlighters have been discontinued (*weeps*), so I’m mourning as I write this.
So, what have I purchased recently?*
Makeup Shayla xColourpop: lipsticks in C’mon Sis and Quickie, lip gloss in Neat Freak and the Perception eye shadow palette
- Quickie is cute, but too pale for me so I doubt I’ll ever wear it
- C’mon sis is a cute pinkish color. Verry creamy for such a cheap product.
- The lip gloss appears to have tint, but it applies clear with glitter throughout. It looks good alone or on top of lipstick, but don’t be surprised if random glitter appears on your face
- The palette is beginner and expert friendly, with some color for the girls! And, only $23. I’ll be using this jawn all summer yahearmeh!?
- I am very happy I purchased this. Although it’s a rose water spray, there is a sunscreen-like scent. It’s not overbearing, but I expected a light scent similar to the Thayer’s toner. It doesn’t smell like that at all. It claims a matte finish, but I cannot confirm that.
- GO TO ULTA RIGHT NOW AND BUY THIS LIP OIL. It smells amazing! I’ve tried coconut and the jojoba + peach, and they’re very moisturizing, non-sticky, and affordable ($9). If applied after exfoliating the lips, your bad b*tch fairy godmother will appear and reward you with a nod of approval. This is the lip product you never knew you needed, until now 😉
The Body Shop: Seaweedoil control gel cream w/ SPF 15
- I’ve been loving this! SPF in moisturizer is a must for the summer, and it applies like a gel. The Body Shop products are also very affordable. I stan.
Herbivore: TrueBlue Skin Clarifying Duo
- $50 value for $29, sign me up
- Finals tore my skin up, but this has been such a lifesaver. I was totally turned off by using an oil on my skin, but BABY, I plan to use this forever. It’s super light and absorbs quickly. The oil is formulated to balance the natural oils of your skin and eradicate and prevent breakouts. Hormonal acne and stress breakouts haven’t stood a chance.
Smashbox: Cover Shot palette in Ablaze
- The colors are to die for and it’s travel friendly. This is my second palette from Smashbox, and I’m very happy with their eye shadows so far. This product isn’t new. Nevertheless, the colors are perfect for summer and I plan to use this often ($29).
Summer Holy Grails
Black Opal: truecolor stick foundation in Nutmeg w/ SPF 15
- I love this foundation so much I wore it in a shade too dark for me for an entire summer. A bronze goddess I was.
- Not ideal for oily skin; it has a “velvet” finish, but with some blotting papers on deck I can’t get enough of it
- Drug store=easy on the pockets
Clinique: Stay matte foundation in golden
- Clinique is my favorite foundation brand, so shout out to the bias
- This is a soft matte formula that builds nicely. It’s not very liquidy either, so you have time to apply it however you wish
- The formula is oil-free also, which is a summertime win
Bare Minerals: BAREPRO performance wear powder foundation
- This is buildable, but in my opinion, works best for light to medium coverage. Powder foundation is super beginner friendly and if you’re not “into” makeup but want a reliable product, this is it ($30).
- I reach for this a lot when it’s warmer, due to the matte but silky finish
- The brand claims it is 12-hour wear (I’ve never tested this), and it’s oil-free!
- Affordable, with a nice matte finish, but not travel friendly (in my opinion, due to size and packaging)
- Gloss bomb, is da bomb indeed. You actually need it.
- Dipbrow is waterproof, but I don’t consider it beginner friendly at all. There’s a variety of looks you can achieve with it depending on the brush you use, Instagram/glam brows or natural hair-like brows, which both take practice and the right brush. My favorite brow pencil info can be found here.
- Lip gloss formula is BOMB, and there’s a lot of colors. My fave is a nude brown, Sepia. Sephora Collection lip gloss is also top 5, for a little less coins.
- BONUS: ABH concealer is dope in the summer also, but it’s slightly matte. I prefer it to define my brows rather than on skin (color 6.0).
I’ve been hiding this translucent powder low-key, but y’all deserve to know it’s lit
- Despite the pink/pale tone of the powder it does have a translucent finish and no flash back.
- Fenty Beauty’s body lava is $59, the Kaylux body highlighter is $30 and it released a few years ago. It now comes in several different summer scents too! I’ve heard Neutrogena also makes a shimmer body oil if you need to purchase one ASAP.
Looking for eye shadow palettes?
- Juvia’s Place
- Huda Beauty
- Makeup Geek
- Urban Decay
*Links aren’t affiliate links*